A frequent question I get from clients is, “Why are professional portraits so expensive? I’ve spent a lot of money on a hair and makeup artist. All you’re doing is taking a picture.”
Nothing could be further from the truth. This is true in high-end portrait photography and wedding photography.
Let’s focus on boudoir photography.
With boudoir, there is a certain skill to posing you in a way that will make you look your very best. We all have issues about our bodies, and when we are fully clothed, it is easier to disguise those issues. But when you are wearing little or no clothing, it is all up to the photographer to pose you in ways that will flatter your body type. Professional photographers also use expensive lights to create illusions and shadows that will hide imperfections as well as create a more artful image on “perfect” and “not so perfect” bodies.
Most clients don’t see what goes on after the photo shoot. . . the hours we spend in post production. We work hard to take the most beautiful photos we can straight out of the camera, but once we get the image out of the camera, we can do a lot more to make you even more beautiful. We use very expensive computer software to accomplish this. This software also requires an expensive computer that is more than the average household computer.
After your photo shoot, Foto Flix Photography does all kinds of post production work in Photoshop:
- We color correct, adjust contrast (with digital, some degree of contrast correction is a MUST on most photos), crop and resize every photo.
- We fix any blemishes the makeup artist couldn’t cover.
- We make your skin glow, smooth your skin, make your eyes shine, remove any facial shine, maximize the photo with vignettes, soften the image, change the color to black and white or sepia.
- We whiten teeth, remove unsightly tan lines, sun damage, stretch marks, cellulite and minimize wrinkles, if necessary.
- Occasionally, a really good photo may need some tweaking. For instance, it may be a great pose but the facial expression was not great; we may replace the head from another photo – and make the change undetectable. This requires a great deal of skill.
With our packages, all these things are done to each photo which is very time consuming. It usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes to make the above enhancements to each photo. When you multiply that by 15 photos, that becomes about 2.5 hours of work.
With professional photography, you definitely get what you pay for.
To prove my point, here are some before and after photos of one of our beautiful clients. You can see the original image was beautiful, but with Photoshop enhancements, her images are gorgeous!
For more examples of Before and After photos, please see our gallery.
If you would like to read more on this subject, read this San Diego photographer’s opinion HERE.